Sedai Immigration Law Corporation focuses exclusively on Canadian immigration, citizenship and passport law, ensuring a high level of expertise.  


Express Entry

Skilled workers who qualify in the Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Class, or Federal Skilled Trades Class apply using the online Express Entry system.


Qualifying Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor the permanent residence application of spouses, partners, or children.  In some exceptional and limited circumstances, they may be permitted to sponsor or similarly assist other relatives (siblings, cousins, aunt, uncles, nephews and nieces).

Business Persons

Business persons may currently apply under the Federal Self-Employed or Provincial Nominee classes.



  • We assist the Canadian employer and foreign worker with their respective applications.
  • Canadian employers sometimes need to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (authorization to hire a foreign national as a worker) if the position is not LMIA-exempt.
  • Most foreign workers need to obtain Canadian work permits. There are also exceptions.


  • We assist foreign students with their applications for study permits to attend secondary or post-secondary programs, and study permit extensions.
  • We have extensive experience assisting students with challenging applications due to a history of weak academic performance, truancy, and serial temporary residence in Canada.
  • Speak with us how you can work while attending school, extend your study permit, or use your studies to facilitate a permanent residence application.


  • We can assist you with your application to enter Canada as a visitor to attend business meetings, take short courses, spend time with family and friends, assist with your grandchild’s care, enjoy Canada as a tourist, or investigate employment or school opportunities.


  • In addition to obtaining one of the above permissions to be a worker, student, or visitor while in Canada, citizens of some countries must also obtain a temporary resident visa (permission to travel to Canada). These are sometimes referred to as student visas, work visas, or visitor visas, which are sometimes required with study permits, work permits, and visitor records.
  • These visas can be challenging to obtain, usually because the visa officer is not convinced that you will leave Canada by the end of the period of your authorized stay. It is advisable to seek assistance with your first visa application, as a refusal can be difficult to overcome on a subsequent application.

Temporary Resident Permits

  • Foreign nationals may be inadmissible to Canada due to criminal (including “minor” or historical) offences, medical condition, misrepresentations, or other reasons. If the basis of the inadmissibility cannot be remedied, the foreign national may request that a Temporary Resident Permit be issued allowing entry despite the inadmissibility.


Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship)

Were you born in Canada or born to a Canadian parent?

You might already be a Canadian and we can assist you with obtaining a Canadian citizenship certificate as proof of this status.  You will need this citizenship certificate to obtain a Canadian Passport.

Citizenship Grant (Naturalization)

Did you became a Canadian permanent resident three years ago or more?

You might now or soon be eligible to apply for citizenship, and we can assist you with that application.

Renunciation of Citizenship

Canadians sometimes discover another other country in which they hold citizenship does not permit dual citizenship, resulting in a loss of rights and benefits in that country.

We can assist with your renunciation of Canadian citizenship.


Criminal Rehabilitations

Persons with criminal (even “minor” or very old) convictions are likely inadmissible to Canada until they are rehabilitated.

Permanent Resident Cards/Residency Requirements

Permanent residents must have spent at least two years in Canada in the most recent five years, in order to maintain permanent resident status, with limited exceptions.  Permanent residents who have travelled outside of Canada frequently or for extended periods, are strongly advised to seek legal assistance before further travels, re-entering Canada, or applying for another permanent resident card.

Please also see our litigation section on hearing and appeals, which may result from accusations that you have not met residency requirements.

Renunciation of Permanent Residence

Permanent residents who have not met residency requirements may need to renounce their permanent residence and re-apply for temporary or permanent residence.  This is a serious step and should not be undertaken without obtaining legal advice.


  • You might have the right of an appeal against a Family Class refusal or finding that you did not meet your residency obligation as a permanent resident.
  • You will have a short deadline to file an appeal so you must act quickly.
  • The Immigration Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board hears the appeal.


  • You might be able to seek judicial review of an immigration or citizenship decision.
  • You will have a short deadline to file an “application for leave and for judicial review” so you must act quickly.
  • This process has several steps:

First, you file the application for leave.  The Federal Court then decides if it will grant leave in your case (i.e., if it is willing to hear the case).

Second, if the Court grants leave then it will review the information that was before the decision and decide whether to allow or dismiss the matter.  

Third, if the Court allows the application, then it is sent back to the government for a new decision by a different officer.